As we wind down yet another year, we pause to look back over our accomplishments, and if we reached our goals for 2012.
I for one started the year off great, every receipt entered on the weekend, every $ accounted for in both checking accounts and then summer hit (and life got busy) and now I find myself with piles of receipts and other things to catch up on again this coming Jan. Well at least I am 1/2 way done this year compared to last year when I was behind a whole 11 months only to put all in an accounting program and then my computer ate it, that’s right it was there but not there. I sometimes wish for the old ledger books at least then I couldn’t hit delete by mistake.
So 10 tips for entering a new year with the paper monster under control.
1) Don’t put off filing or filling in the blanks and think you will do later, later catches up to us way to fast.
2) Get a system and stick to it, yes it may be hard at first but it will be worth it in the long run.
3) Make your desk and your computer a CLUTTER FREE ZONE! Make sure you have files, boxes, bins, and yes a trash can so you can keep up on the daily mail, receipts, pictures, emails and more.
4) Learn when you need help and get it!!! My husband is a great guy who puts everything in date order for me and all I have to do is enter it into the computer. (saves me over the year about 20 hours)
5) Never ever give up, never let the piles of paper, insurmountable emails in your inbox, or the long list of blogs you wish you had time to read, the new listings or the purchase agreements win the only winner here is you and you can do it. You can stay clutter free and love it.
6) Go through your old photos on computer, you took how many shots of little Johnny with Aunt Sue and 1/2 did not turn out why on earth are you saving them???
Delete those pictures and then
DUMP THAT TRASH CAN!
You can do it and just think of the memory you are freeing up on the computer.
7) Go through your mail daily and throw the junk right where it belongs in the trash can! Don’t just pile it and think you will throw away later, later never comes my friends….and if it does you will have a pile like this…
8 Buy a new office supply (really cute new things at OFFICE DEPOT or cool ideas for filing AVERY ) when you keep your desk clutter free for a month, maybe there is a new pen holder you saw, or a new file bin, how about those cute magnets, or treat yourself to a good book…
9) Keep your records in a bin, with year you can destroy on the outside then once you have 7 years of bins you can recycle, (remember to keep your tax records longer and other bank information such as loan payoffs) but the receipts and other odds and ends can go.
10) Go though the old files on your desktop, weed out the ones you don’t need to be there and create a file just for them OLD FILES, if you don’t touch it for over a year then put it on your backup and forget about it and clear it off your computer. (Or do like I do and have a file for every year of work and then I only keep 2 years on the computer the rest are on my backup drive, I know where they are if needed)
Be ready for changes in work area, time has a way of sneaking up on us like a last minute appointment or another purchase, just when we think we are ahead sometimes it looks like we are way behind.
Remember keep an open mind that this year you will over come the time stealing paper monster, and have your desk look like this instead!
May each and everyone of you
have a great 2013 !!!!!!!